The Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) is a federal program that provides grants to Releasedonkey.com colleges and universities to help students and staff affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. The program was created by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act of 2020 and has been funded by several subsequent appropriations acts.
HEERF grants can be used to support a variety of student and staff needs, such as:
- Financial assistance for students
- Mental health services
- Distance learning technology
- Food and housing assistance
- Childcare assistance
- Transportation assistance
- Other essential needs
The amount of funding that each institution receives is based on a formula that takes into account the number of students enrolled, the percentage of students who are Pell Grant recipients, and the institution’s financial resources.
HEERF grants are administered by the U.S. Department of Education (ED). Institutions can use the funds to provide direct assistance to students and staff, or they can use the funds to support other expenses, such as improving campus safety or upgrading technology infrastructure.
The first round of HEERF grants was distributed in 2020. The second round of HEERF grants was distributed in 2021. The third round of HEERF grants was distributed in 2022.
If you are a student or staff member who is affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, you should contact your institution to find out how to apply for HEERF grants.
Here are some of the benefits of HEERF grants:
- They can help students and staff who are struggling financially due to the pandemic.
- They can help institutions improve their ability to provide distance learning and other services to students.
- They can help institutions improve their safety and security measures.
- They can help institutions upgrade their technology infrastructure.
HEERF grants are a valuable resource that can help colleges and universities support students and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic.