The Better Business Bureau (BBB) is a nonprofit organization that helps consumers find trustworthy businesses. We also offer tips on how to protect yourself from scams and fraud.
Here are some tips to help you stay safe:
- Do your research before you buy anything online. Check the company’s BBB rating and read customer reviews.
- Never give out your personal information over the phone or online unless you are sure the person or website is legitimate. This includes your credit card number, Social Security number, and bank account information.
- Be wary of deals that seem too good to be true. If a price seems too low, it probably is.
- Don’t click on links in emails or text messages from people you don’t know. These links may lead to fake websites that can steal your personal information.
- Keep your software up to date. Outdated software can have security vulnerabilities that can be exploited by scammers.
- Use strong passwords and change them regularly. Don’t use the same password for multiple accounts.
- Be careful what information you share on social media. Scammers can use this information to target you with scams.
If you think you have been scammed, report it to the BBB and to your local law enforcement agency. You can also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
The BBB is here to help you protect yourself from scams and fraud. For more information, visit our website at www.bbb.org.
In addition to these tips, the BBB also offers a number of resources to help consumers, including:
- A free business lookup tool that allows you to check a business’s BBB rating and read customer reviews.
- A dispute resolution service that can help you resolve a problem with a business.
- A consumer education library with articles on a variety of topics, including scams and fraud.
The BBB is here to help you make informed decisions about your purchases and to protect yourself from scams and fraud. Contact us today for more information.